Saturday, October 8, 2016

My Self-centered self (and Wallace's speech)

As I was reading "This is Water" by David Foster Wallace, I found myself making connections to the"natural, basic self-centeredness" (Wallace 233).  I had realized how I am a self-centered person myself.  As a result, I will attempt make this blog about how Wallace establishes these connections of self-centeredness (and occasionally write about how I am self-centered).

Wallace perhaps establishes the connections of "self-centeredness" by his use of hypothetical situations.  He uses examples such as "let's say it's an average day...and at the end of the day you're tired, and you're stressed out" (Wallace 234), and "the checkout line is incredibly long" (Wallace 235).  These examples help the audience make connections to their own lives.  Even I was reminded of how I had to wait in line to buy lunch in school.  I especially have selfish thoughts when I am starving, thinking only about getting the food and wishing all the people standing in front of me would get out of my way.  I had never realized that selfish thoughts as these part of a "natural, hard-wired default-setting" (Wallace 233) until I read "This is Water".

Wallace also suggests that we should be "able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day" (Wallace 237).  What he means by this statement is that people should focus more on their surroundings rather than inside their minds.  He isn't denouncing self-centered thought as a "sin" since he says "if I choose to think this way, fine, lots of us do" (Wallace 236).  He is rather encouraging us to try to resist being too "self-centered".  This would be an "unimaginably hard" task to do for most people, even myself, but we can at least try to do so (Wallace 238).

5 comments:

  1. I thought it was interesting that you wrote about self centeredness and you related a hypothetical thought to your own. Also nice job on using a lot of textual evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joseph don't feel bad, I think we are all self centered to certain extents. Some more than others of course, but I think it's necessary, if we don't think about ourselves first and think about others only, then we will get taken advantage of. I believe self centeredness is bad but i think its needed to survive. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good use of textual evidence and connection to your own life. I agree that being able truly care for others is very important, but you still have to worry about yourself first and maintain a little bit of self-centeredness in order be able live a fulfilling life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job using your personal experiences to connect your own life to the story. Also,similarly to the the line, "if one Honest man, ..., were actually to withdraw from from this copartnership, and be locked upon the county jail therefor, it would be the abolition of slavery in America"(1023), maybe it would only take a couple people resisting self-centeredness to persuade everyone else to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Joseph, I love how you connected David's speech into your own life. I feel like a lot of times when we hear advice, we just nod and agree with it. I like how you took the next step and actually took the time to look back and see how applicable the advice is. That's the first step to mindfulness which is something David mentions in his speech. Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete