Friday, December 9, 2016

Why does Fitzgerald Include Racism in his novels?

John, from The Diamond As Big As The Ritz, was put into "a state of terror" when he found out that Braddock murdered his guests (Fitzgerald 99).  What I find that is very irritating is the John did not feel this when he first saw the "negroes" as slaves (Fitzgerald 79).  In fact, it may prove that John could be a racist, or at least indifferent to blacks.  Unfortunately, I cannot find enough textual evidence to prove this theory.  So instead of pondering on if Fitzgerald or John is a racist, I will try my best to explain why F. Scott Fitzgerald includes these indirect references to racism.

 It is important to remember that there was plenty of racists that existed in the Roaring 20's.  There was even a famous racist organization that had gained a lot of power during this decade, which is, of course, the Klu Klux Klan.  While Fitzgerald did try to focus both The Great Gatsby and The Diamond As Big As The Ritz (which was actually written for Fitzgerald's pleasure) on social class, it seems he couldn't avoid including racism simply because it was a big issue at the time.  I actually think Fitzgerald was tempted to write a story that addresses racism, but he just was probably afraid of getting assassinated by the Klu Klux Klan or by a racist (or anti-racist) mob.  So he vaguely includes racism in his novels as a result.  (To be clear, I do not know for sure if this is true.)

Overall, I do not think that it matters if Fitzgerald is a racist or not.  Racism does not seem to be the main point of his novels. (I am referring to The Great Gatsby and The Diamond As Big As The Ritz).  As I stated before, Fitzgerald's main purpose in his two stories involved social classes.  So I think that issue would be more vital (and easier) in analyzing some of Fitzgerald's texts.

4 comments:

  1. Joseph, I love how you tried to analyze why Fitzgerald included indirect references to racism. It is definitely hard to tell what he intended as the Civil Rights Movement only made a big impact in the 1960s. After reading the literary criticism and seeing how Fitzgerald includes hints of homosexuality, it is very possible that he intended, as you state, "to write a story that addresses racism."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such an interesting post Joseph! It definitely is hard to determine why Fitzgerald included racist ideas in his writing, but your analysis was really good! And I do agree that whether Fitzgerald was a racist or not, it isn't as important as the themes of his books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post Joseph! I don't think fitzgerald had an agenda toward blacks, I think he was more disillusioned with the materialism of the times. Perhaps he was a racist,but I don't think his writings ever addressed it nor did he have a need to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Joseph! I like how well you analyzed Fitzgerald's ideas about racism. Also, I agree with you about how racism isn't the main focus of his writing.

    ReplyDelete