Friday, November 4, 2016

Observations of The Bluest Eye

I have to admit that The Bluest Eye had surprised me very much.  I was expecting it to be a very depressing novel.  My expectations were formed by the comments of many people who had read Toni Morrison's books, such as Beloved.  They claimed that Morrison's stories were very tragic and painful to read.  When I actually started reading The Bluest Eye, it wasn't quite as depressing as I thought.  In fact, I actually found myself impressed by how Morrison fits in tiny little symbols and motifs in her diction, syntax, imagery, etc.  I will write about some of these details that I have observed throughout the novel in this post.

I would like to start by mentioning the event in which Maureen Peal runs away from Claudia and Frieda.  Before this scene, Maureen is described as having a pretty figure and is well-liked by many people.  When the scene does happen, she is mentioned to have "green knee socks making her legs look like wild dandelion stems that have somehow lost their heads" (Morrison 73).  This simile is a direct reference to how Pecola noticed that "Nobody loves the head of a dandelion" (Morrison 47).  Therefore, the simile represents how Maureen is popular among many people because she merely meets the beauty standards.  Maureen even insults both Claudia and Frieda by calling them both "Black and ugly black e mos" (Morrison 73).  This insult symbolizes how Claudia and Frieda do not quite meet the beauty standard as Maureen had because they are African Americans.  Pecola even gets called a "Black e mo" when she gets bullied by the four boys (Morrison 65).  Morrison seems to convey that the modern beauty expectations is not just based on gender, it is also based on race.

5 comments:

  1. I liked the connection you found with the motif dandelions. But above all, I liked your first paragraph for how it introduced your analysis of The Bluest Eye. Also, I think we may expect the novel might become more depressing as it progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your analysis of the dandelions was very insightful. I especially enjoyed the way that you wrapped this post up by stating that beauty does not just have to do with gender but also race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never noticed the use of the word dandelions when Maureen was running away from Claudia and Frieda, great find! Nice analysis on beauty expectations also depending on race. I also agree with Chittesh, I feel like the book will take a darker turn later on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Joseph, great analysis of the Motif of Dandelions. I was also expecting the story to be more depressing but something tells me it will get sadder as the Novel progresses. I also agree with caelan that beauty is not just gender but also race.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could really relate to your blog because I at first also thought the content of the novel would procure a dreary tone. I enjoyed your analysis and how you paired them with visuals to emphasize the points you made in your post. Great job:)

    ReplyDelete